USA 13-0 Thailand: United States claim biggest ever Ladies folks’s World Cup arrangement shut
The US recorded the biggest ever victory within the Fifa Ladies folks’s World Cup as they overwhelmed Thailand 13-0.
The 2015 winners salvage been 3-0 up at half of-time, scored four times in 10 minutes within the 2nd half of and then added six extra targets within the ultimate 16 minutes.
Alex Morgan scored five times for the US with two targets apiece for Rose Lavelle and Samantha Mewis.
Lindsey Horan, Megan Rapinoe, Mallory Pugh and Carli Lloyd additionally scored to beat Germany’s 11-0 arrangement shut over Argentina.
The US’ old biggest arrangement shut within the tournament became a 7-0 success over Chinese Taipei in 1991, while Germany’s thrashing of Argentina came in 2007.
- US head coach Ellis ‘in tears’ after document arrangement shut
- Relive how the US thrashed Thailand because it took disclose
- Alex Morgan – a Ladies folks’s World Cup icon
How the targets went in
- 1-0, 12 minutes: An unmarked Alex Morgan nodded in Kelley O’Hara’s rotten.
- 2-0, 20 minutes: Rose Lavelle’s extremely effective strike became helped into the accumulate by the keeper.
- 3-0, 31 minutes: Lindsey Horan scores from six yards out after Wilaiporn Boothduang fails to optimistic Tobin Heath’s free-kick.
- 4-0, 50 minutes: Samantha Mewis’ deflected effort gave her the 800th aim in Ladies folks’s World Cup historical previous.
- 5-0, 52 minutes: Morgan tucked in after Thailand failed to optimistic a free-kick.
- 6-0, 54 minutes: The ball bounced kindly to Mewis within the box and he or she struck one other.
- 7-0, 56 minutes: Mewis turned provider this time for Lavelle, who placed within the seventh.
- 8-0, 74 minutes: A neat flip and develop from Morgan done her hat-trick.
- 9-0, 79 minutes: Megan Rapinoe timed her bustle to perfection and done a flowing pass.
- 10-0, 81 minutes: Morgan hit a cracking strike from the fringe of the box for her fourth of the evening.
- 11-0, 84 minutes: Change Mallory Pugh rounded the goalkeeper and rolled the ball in.
- 12-0, 87 minutes: Morgan’s vibrant flick and extremely effective develop delivered the correct aim of the evening.
- 13-0, 90+2 minutes: Carli Lloyd raced thru the middle and slotted in from shut vary.
Ruthless USA develop no longer let up
The US gamers refused to resolve their foot off the accelerator within the closing stages, taking an 8-0 lead into the final 12 minutes earlier than adding five additional targets.
Just a few of Thailand’s gamers salvage been clearly upset at the final whistle, with tears streaming down ahead Suchawadee Nildhamrong’s face, while some members of the usa crew tried to console their opponents.
Five-aim striker Morgan said: “With the scoreline tonight, now we need to gaze at the community stage as every aim counts.
“It became well-known for us to continue to accelerate. We knew every aim might perchance also subject.”
The defending champions salvage misplaced upright one international sport since July 2017 and salvage now won seven games in a row, scoring 36 targets within the job, and no longer conceding in five suits.
|Most sensible wins in Ladies folks’s World Cup historical previous|
|1 United States 13-0 Thailand (2019)||2 Germany 11-0 Argentina (2007)|
|3 Germany 10-0 Ivory Fade (2015)||4 Switzerland 10-1 Ecuador (2015)|
|=5 Sweden 8-0 Japan (1991)||=5 Norway 8-0 Nigeria (1995)|
|=7 United States 7-0 Chinese Taipei (1991)||=7 Norway 7-0 Canada (1995)|
|=7 China 7-0 Ghana (1999)|
How upright did the usa gaze?
The US are bidding to reach their third consecutive final and switch into only the 2nd nation to efficiently protect a Ladies folks’s World Cup title, after Germany’s 2003 and 2007 successes.
They arrived in France as favourites to arrangement shut a document fourth title, but many pundits salvage tipped France, England or the Netherlands to be triumphant, with Canada, Australia and Sweden talked about as darkish horses.
Head coach Jill Ellis’ aspect done 2nd in this year’s SheBelieves Cup to winners England but on Tuesday at Stade Auguste-Delaune they reminded the arena of their attacking class in a sport correct thru which they’d also salvage surely scored many extra.
They’d 40 attempts at aim, including 20 on discover, and salvage been additionally denied two stable appeals for penalties within the principle half of.
Thailand boss urges her aspect to ‘leap lend a hand’
Thailand, ranked 34th on the earth, misplaced 9-0 of their old assembly with the usa in a friendly in 2016 and salvage been playing within the finals for below the 2nd time, having been eliminated within the community stage in 2015.
They desire to invent the next phase but need upright results against Sweden and Chile, who played every assorted earlier on Tuesday with the Europeans winning 2-0.
Thailand boss Nuengruethai Sathongwien praised the angle of the American gamers after the final whistle and said: “They saw that our gamers salvage been very disillusioned and they wished to serve us to continue combating. Thanks deal for that.
“We salvage two extra games to play and now we need to leap lend a hand. They’ve their responsibilities and they know what they desire to develop.
“My gamers salvage been making an strive ahead to this 2nd and they salvage been surely disillusioned.”
One other thrashing for Thailand – the stats
- The US’ 13-0 arrangement shut over Thailand is the largest margin of victory in either the males’s or ladies’s World Cup.
- Thailand salvage now misplaced three of their four Ladies folks’s World Cup suits (won one). In those three defeats, they salvage got failed to ranking a single aim while conceding 21.
- For the reason that originate of 2018, Alex Morgan has scored 26 targets for USA Ladies folks in all competitions, 13 extra than any assorted participant.
- Mallory Pugh turned the thirty 2nd assorted participant (with the exception of have targets) to ranking for USA at the Ladies folks’s World Cup, only Germany salvage extra assorted scorers within the opponents’s historical previous (34).
- Most sensible Germany (five) can boast extra hat-trick scorers in Ladies folks’s World Cup suits than USA, with Alex Morgan turning into the fourth participant develop so for her nation (Carli Lloyd, Michelle Akers and Carin Jennings are the others).
- Samantha Mewis’ opening aim for USA became the 800th aim scored in Ladies folks’s World Cup suits, with USA guilty for 116 of them – extra than any assorted crew.
- Carli Lloyd earned her 275th cap for the US of their arrangement shut over Thailand, moving her to fourth on the all-time list. Most sensible Mia Hamm (276), Christie Rampone (311) and Kristine Lilly (354) salvage earned extra.
- Most sensible Brazil midfielder Formiga (37y 99d) has scored a aim in a Ladies folks’s World Cup uncover at an older age than Carli Lloyd at 36 years and 330 days.
The US will face Chile in Paris at 17:00 BST on 16 June, three hours after Thailand meet Sweden.
Jill Ellis’ aspect will then be up against Sweden in Le Havre in 20 June, in a sport that is liable to reach to a resolution which aspect tops the community.
The cease two groups in every of the six groups will qualify robotically for the ultimate 16, alongside with the four absolute top third-placed facets.